3.30.2011

Bittersweet Victories

So...if you recall, I was trying to by a car last week...


This was my first time purchasing a car on my own. Researching, shopping, dealing, & signing. I knew I had a budget. I knew I had to stick to it. I found the car I was interested in, even though I never thought I had a shot in a million years. The way I figured it, however, was that it couldn't hurt anything to try (other than my feelings).

So, I laid awake every night for about a week, figuring and calculating trying to come up with what I could afford. Finally, I got in touch with a few dealerships, and some of them were quick to tell me I'd never get it. I would tell them, "Okay. Thank you for your time. I'll try somewhere else." And that would be that.

I made an appointment at Atwood Chevrolet. I went in, drove the car that had been keeping me up at night, and threw some numbers back and forth. When I left there, I was so confused, which I know is what they bank on. However, I stood my ground and didn't make a decision that day. I told them that I was planning on purchasing a car before the end of the month, but that I had someone else I was going to see the next day. (Apparently it's good to let them know you have options. Kinda puts the pressure on.)

Big mistake!

The second guy...wow...I'll let the letter I wrote him here explain that story.

Needless (I'm sure) to say, I had already made up my mind that I would not be purchasing from him. So I called back my contact at Atwood, gave her the scoop, and told her to see if she could do better. If she couldn't, I just would have to wait, re-group, and try again later. After all, it's not as if I need a new car...I just want one.

The next day, she told me the best she could do was $428 on the notes. I was not paying that much. I told her I appreciated everything, but that was too high. So she tried again. Came back right under $400. I told her that was still too high, that I would just resign my new car hunt, and figure something else out, but that I would definitely let her know when I got ready to try again.

She apologized, saying that if there was any way they could do any better on it, they would, definitely.

I let it ride the rest of the week, holding out hope that she would call me back. (but not much...)

Finally, on Monday, I sent her a message asking if she had sold my car. She told me that it was still waiting on me.  I informed her that they only needed to come down about $30 on the note. She, again told me that if they could, they would...but they just couldn't....and added that if I gave up only 2 cokes a day, it could be mine! (I don't even drink cokes...I told her as much.)  I told her, though, if it got to the end of the month, and they still hadn't sold it and wanted to come down, to let me know.

Tuesday morning, I got a message from her telling me if I could come up with just a little more to put down, they could get my notes to what I was wanting. I told her I had what I had, and that's what I had. So she was like, "Okay...well she's working on it, I'll let you know."

Miraculously, 2 days before the end of the month, they've managed to finagle things and pull some strings and get my notes right where I want them.

I'm, now (along with the bank...), the proud (so proud I can't stand myself) new owner of this:


This is not your grandmother's Cadi.

I think I might still be dreaming..

Leather interior with wood grain accents.

It's pretty much a spaceship.



If you're in the area, go to Atwood's Chevrolet!

You win some. You lose some. I won! I stuck to my guns, and got what I wanted! I'm so proud of myself just for not caving and trying to make it work with the higher notes, just because I wanted a new car.

This was a bittersweet victory, because I'm really going to miss my little G6...at first...

You were a good little car! Thank you for your service! *hugs*

Happiness & Cupcakes, my loves!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!! I LOVE it! It's by far the nicest car I have ever owned. (probably ever will own...)

    ReplyDelete

Decorate a cupcake!